Saturday, January 4, 2014

My Pink Gloves...

These are my pink gloves.  I have been wearing them several hours a day over the past days.  We are harvesting pecans.  My hands aren't nearly as torn up as past years.  I admitted that I'm probably working faster these days.  The frost on the leaves doesn't penatrate the leather palms, though they turn a darker color with each finger full of pecan and debris.
The southern New Mexico weather has been perfect this past week.  While the midwestern and northeastern US has snow and cold, I'm reminded why we moved here.

I appreciate each day that I can work under these conditions.  Our pecans are a good food source for humans, but during the hand picking and sorting, we separate some of the cracked or open pecans for our chickens and turkey.  Okay, Molli loves them too.  These are a healthy alternative to feeding commercial feed.  This is a very good year and the weather is cooperating. Time to put on my pink gloves and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment