Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Fodder Experiment

Day 9 of the Oat Grass Fodder Experiment

Day 9 of our experiment with Oats. Goal, to increase the feed from the original weight of the seed. Start weight of seeds. 7.2 oz, final weight, 23.9. That's a 3 fold increase in weight. Original weighing and final weight were after 15 minutes of soaking and draining all water off. 
We soaked for 12 hours, rinsed and soaked for 15 minutes twice a day for the 9 days. Days 1-4 were in the back room, temperature average of 63 degrees F with 11% humidity. The days 5-9 were in a window in a plastic greenhouse with 4 shelves. Since it was not sealed, the day time temps were about 80 degrees F average and night time temps at about 66 degrees F.
As an experiment, this went well. I'll see how the chickens and turkeys like this and amend my growing for the future. One mistake I will not make again, metal pan. I'll be working in proofing trays where I will be able to get a drain on one end. This will be less disturbing to the root mass in the final days.
I did have 100% germination, but will bring the soaking seeds into the warmer room. The optimal temp for oats germination is 70 degrees F, so I might have had better luck in the early days of germination with those extra 7 degrees.
I've also read some more that suggests that any more than 4 hours of soaking oats is not good. Will try that and rinse and soak for more 15 minutes and dump 2 times each of those early days to avoid water logging which may have prevented earlier germination.

I've included a picture with an example of the size of the blade of grass and the two (average) roots.

Did not have any mold, but seeds were triple cleaned organic oat seed.





No comments:

Post a Comment