Wednesday, February 5, 2014

February watering

It seems weird to be fighting moles, weeding and mulching gardens.  It is only February 5 and it has been so warm, the onions and potatoes from last week are growing, the bok choy in the greenhouse is blooming (I just did a pollination, though there are bees and flies out.  Watered the spinach and noticed carrots in the greenhouse coming up.  These must have been some washed seeds from the flood.  I found some Mustard Greens growing under an area where we don't grow plants, but I dug it up and transplanted it.  It has a great flavor and means I don't need mustard on my burger and I can do some great lettuce wraps.

Again, I thought this was the slow time, but the salad last night was delicious.  We even irrigated Monday and Tuesday.  They cleaned the weir up and the water was really flowing extremely well.  This was our first shot at irrigating the lower fields since the flood, September 13, 2013.  We are at a curve in the creek on two fronts.  When the water comes quickly, we get lots of erosion and lots of soil from up stream ends up on our fields.
Some of the fields had 3 foot of silt and sand brought on to the grasses.  Almost all of the plants along the edge were brought up and so were a couple of pieces of irrigation pipe (not from our farm).  Thank goodness for neighbors. Chuck moved dirt and Bob clean off the fields.  Watering caught a couple of high areas, but overall, this is better than we have had since September!


 Our Turkeys are a Year Old.  One tom, one hen.  Come on, get together, we want a new flock!



The Fodder is going well.  Hopeful the chickens and turkeys appreciate the fodder tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandi :)
    I was wondering how the fodder turned out? I know growing oats can be tricky because I'm in the process right now. I hope all is well. Cheers from NM.

    -Candace

    ReplyDelete